Archive for December, 2008

New Year’s Eve roof fire displaces Shutesbury family – Recorder

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

SHUTESBURY — Heavy snow and slick roads slowed the response to a fire on Shore Drive Wednesday, but did not prevent the town Fire Department from saving the house that was burning. According to Shutesbury Fire Chief Walter Tibbetts, the fire started …


View all headlines – Recorder

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

ERVING — The Copper Angel Restaurant has closed for the winter, but it plans to reopen in May. Electives return to Greenfield High School GREENFIELD — When Greenfield High School students return from winter break, they’ll have a surprise, says the …


Rules clear the air on wood-burning stoves – Fall River Herald News

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008
Rules clear the air on wood-burning stoves
Fall River Herald News,  USA – 12 minutes ago
By Jay Pateakos Although outdoor wood-burning furnaces have been around for more than a decade, they have only become popular over the last several years as


Chelsea Propane Leak Forces Evacuations – WCAX

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

Emergency crews were on the scene of a propane tanker accident in Chelsea for more than 24 hours. The truck was carrying 2,400 gallons of propane when it slid off the road– spilling gas into a nearby stream. Officials say about 1,800 gallons of fuel …


Fireplace business heating up as people explore alternatives – West Salem Coulee News

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008
Fireplace business heating up as people explore alternatives
West Salem Coulee News, WI – Dec 31, 2008
Meyer, who graduated from West Salem High School in 1970 and has a background in mechanical engineering, has always been intrigued by wood stoves.
“No burn” day means no fires in your fireplace KJCT8.com
all 13 news articles


Fire, CO deaths double – Nashua Telegraph

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

More than twice as many New Hampshire residents died from fires or carbon monoxide poisoning in 2008 than last year, largely the result of people using alternative heating sources. Twenty-two people died in fires, and five succumbed to carbon …


2 men rescued from cabin fearing frostbite – Turn to 10.com

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

Providence Eyewitness News
2 men rescued from cabin fearing frostbite
Turn to 10.com, RI – 7 hours ago
At the cabin, the men tried to warm up by starting a fire in a small wood stove, but they struggled to get it lit. Once it got started, the stove gave off
2 RI men call for help fearing frostbite in NH WCAX
all 11 news articles


2 men rescued from cabin fearing frostbite – News Channel 10

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. – Two young men unprepared for the cold were rescued from a Black Mountain cabin in Jackson after fearing one had suffered frostbite. Pasquale Digiovangiacomo and Dean Cooper, both 18 and from Cranston, hiked to a cabin they had …


Two RI men rescued in New Hampshire – WPRI

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) – Two Rhode Island young men have been rescued from a Black Mountain cabin in Jackson, N.H., after fearing one had frostbite from wearing improper gear. Eighteen-year-olds Pasquale Digiovangiacomo and Dean Cooper hiked to a cabin …


Hikers Rescued From Black Mountain Cabin – WMUR.com

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. — Two men have been rescued from a Black Mountain cabin in Jackson, N.H., after they feared that one had frostbite from wearing improper gear. Pasquale Digiovangiacomo and Dean Cooper, both 18 and from Cranston, R.I., hiked to a cabin …