Archive for January, 2009

In western KY, still stuck in ice storm’s grip – International Herald Tribune

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

AURORA, Ky. : The power had been out since Tuesday at Lakeland Arbor Village, an independent-living community, and some of the food was spoiling, at least the stuff anyone really wanted to eat. “I still have some potted meat, but I’m getting kind of …


Fire breaks out in Brighton home – Northumberland Today

Saturday, January 31st, 2009
Fire breaks out in Brighton home
Northumberland Today, Canada – 1 hour ago
It appears renovators should have worried more about the wood stove and chimney before laying a floor. Fire broke out in the walls and ceiling of a house at


Wrestling and faith in Mongolia – BBC News

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

Ulan Bator’s most conspicuous symbol of the atheist socialism Mongolia inherited from Soviet Russia stands on a hill above the city. It is a wide concrete ring, dominated by a heroic figure with chiselled Slavic features, bearing a flowing concrete …


Don’t knock wood, professor says – The Kingston Whig-Standard

Saturday, January 31st, 2009
Don’t knock wood, professor says
The Kingston Whig-Standard, Canada – 1 hour ago
“Overall, with the wood stove and the gas, we actually released more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere,” Grogan said, “but because the wood is a renewable


Wood stove likely caused Hebron fire – SunJournal.com

Saturday, January 31st, 2009
Wood stove likely caused Hebron fire
SunJournal.com, ME – 6 minutes ago
HEBRON – A wood stove likely caused a blaze that destroyed a historic farmhouse on Thursday night. Harold Brooks, who bought the property about a week to a


Wood stove likely caused Hebron fire – Sun-Journal

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

HEBRON – A wood stove likely caused a blaze that destroyed a historic farmhouse on Thursday night. Harold Brooks, who bought the property about a week to a week and a half ago, said he had been using a wood stove as a backup heating source. Brooks …


Chimney failure led to blaze Chief: Amesbury fire started in garage … – Newburyport Daily News

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

AMESBURY — The cause of the fire that tore through the Wright family home on Monday morning has been determined to be a failure in the chimney of the house’s wood stove, according to the Amesbury Fire Task Force. The 54 Birchmeadow Road home …


Fort Plain sues to recoup business loan – Daily Gazette

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

FORT PLAIN — The village of Fort Plain is taking legal action to recoup community development grant money lent to a prospective businessman who the village alleges did not pay it back. A lawsuit filed Jan. 9 in state Supreme Court in Montgomery …


City responders, neighbors shine through explosion response – Gloucester Daily Times

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

It is a miracle that Officer Sargent walked away from the explosion that devastated his home. All of us in the city wish him a full and speedy recovery. The state fire marshal’s office has confirmed that the explosion was due to a natural gas leak …


Alaskans brace for Redoubt Volcano eruption – Arlington Heights Daily Herald

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Anchorage-area residents were stocking up on protective eyewear and masks as scientists in Alaska warned a volcanic eruption of Mount Redoubt was imminent. Scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory have been monitoring …