Archive for November, 2010

First ‘Spare the Air’ day called — no wood burning Wednesday – San Jose Mercury News

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

During the burn ban it is illegal for Bay Area residents and businesses to use their fireplaces, woodstoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire pits or other wood-burning devices. For information, visit www.baaqmd.gov or www.sparetheair.org or call …


Yes, it’s cold,but wood stove may not be the best solution – Northwest Explorer

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

It’s cold, for Southern Arizona, prompting people to light a fire. Those who burn wood exhaust hundreds of chemical compounds, including nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds, and particulate matter, according to the Pima County …


Reaching for sweaters, turning down the heat – Asbury Park Press

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Reaching for sweaters, turning down the heat
Asbury Park Press
So, VanNess had an energy-efficient wood stove insert installed in her fireplace. “It provides enough warmth to heat the main floor and part of the


Winter Spare the Air Day Declared for Wednesday – Patch

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Winter Spare the Air Day Declared for Wednesday
Patch
Winter air pollution is mainly caused by particulate matter pollution from wood smoke. Burning wood or other solid fuels in fireplaces, wood stoves,
“Spare the Air” day issued for December 1st San Francisco Chronicle (blog)
First no-burn alert of season called in Bay Area San Jose Mercury News
First ‘Spare the Air’ day called — no wood burning Wednesday Marin Independent-Journal

all 12 news articles »


First ‘Spare the Air’ day called — no wood burning Wednesday – Marin Independent Journal

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

During the burn ban it is illegal for Bay Area residents and businesses to use their fireplaces, woodstoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire pits or other wood-burning devices. For information, visit www.baaqmd.gov or www.sparetheair.org or call …


Wood-burning stove ignites fire – Pratt Tribune

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

A rural Sawyer brother and sister escaped unharmed from their house after high winds and a spark from a wood-burning stove set a fire underneath the siding on the house. Lee Mohler and his sister Lisa Mohler were at home on the ground floor of the house …


Safer, cleaner wood-burning – WWLP 22News

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Safer, cleaner wood-burning
WWLP 22News
These certified wood stoves have better insulation and air flow so that more of the toxic gases and particles are burned inside the stove, producing less


Penticton Fire Department give safety tips for using heaters – CKFR

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Penticton Fire Department give safety tips for using heaters
CKFR
As temperatures are dropping, the Penticton Fire Department is warning people to be careful with space heaters, furnaces, wood stoves and other portable

and more »


Column: Changes shock each generation – Appleton Post Crescent

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Column: Changes shock each generation
Appleton Post Crescent
This stove, fueled by wood, augmented a pot-bellied wood stove in supplying heat for the farm home. Bathing consisted of sponge baths over a washtub because

and more »


Heating-source fires prompt concern, advice – Martinsville Bulletin

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010
Heating-source fires prompt concern, advice
Martinsville Bulletin
On Wednesday, a fire that began with a wood stove destroyed a home in Elamsville in Patrick County. Four days later, a blaze set in a fireplace that hadn’t